While getting ready to go to work this morning, I got Stubbs up out of bed to do his "business" before I left for the day. He started walking-- but only on three legs! He refused to walk on his left hind leg and when he had to tried to use that leg, he started to whine and whimper! I immediately brought him to the vet, and even after being muzzled (I know, it's a little mean, but we don't want others being bit!) he absolutely freaked out when the vet tried to touch his back area (he was in a lot of pain!). After sedating him, she performed a physical examination and took some x-rays, and diagnosed him with osteoarthritis and canine hip dysplasia. (See below for link to an article on the topic).
Our poor baby is still semi-sedated and now sleeping on the couch, having every need tended to. We'll let him rest for the next couple days, and start him on some very light exercise (and possibly swimming?).
-Article: Canine Hip Dysplasia
Update: After about two weeks on anti-inflammatories and painkillers, Stubbs developed some wicked diarrhea and vomiting-- blechh! But we've changed around some of his meds, and he is doing much better! We're back to our daily walks, and though he still limps a little, we're hopeful that he's gonna be even better than he was before. Woof!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment